How To Clean Quartz Countertops
Quartz is non-porous, which makes it one of the easiest countertop surfaces to maintain and clean.
Preventive Countertop Maintenance
As with any stone countertop, it’s a good idea to clean up spills right away. Even though quartz is non-porous and stain resistant, it is not completely stain proof. Spills left to sit for long periods of time can cause discolorations. Plus, the longer a stain sits, the harder it becomes to clean.
Here are the dos and don’ts of cleaning quartz countertops:
- Clean quartz with warm water and a mild dish soap
- Use a soft wash cloth and scrub gently
- Use only cleaning products designed specifically for quartz
- Dry with a microfiber cloth or soft towel
- Clean up messes quickly so they can’t absorb into the stone
- Use harsh chemicals (avoid very high or low pH levels)
- Use bleach or ammonia
- Use bleach wipes
- Clean with rough scouring pads or stiff-bristled brushes
- Clean with vinegar (some say it is okay, but vinegar is acidic and can cause discoloration)
Many people use Windex® or similar cleaners to help shine their countertops, while this is okay for most quartz, you should avoid cleaners with bleach or ammonia. Windex®, for example, comes in an ammonia-free version.
The real key to caring for quartz is to be gentle. Don’t use any harsh chemicals or cleaning tools that can scratch the surface. Long-term, the real goal is to avoid scratches. The resins used to seal quartz protect the stone, but scratches allow food and other substances into the stone. This can cause damage and stains.
If you avoid cleaning with sharp or abrasive products and/or harsh chemicals, you’ll help prolong the life and beauty of your quartz countertops.
Quartz is an engineered stone, meaning companies manufacture it, so it’s not 100% natural. Different brands of quartz may have slightly different instructions for care, so check with your manufacturer or installer to make sure you know the best methods for cleaning your countertops. If you have questions, give us a call at 316-946-0530.